One of our horses

One of our horses
Diablo's Little Spin

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Sore Foot and How Not to Give a Penicillin Injection...

Poor Will, his foot is VERY sore this morning. I gave him his needle, something I have done countless times. I did all the usual things.... drew the imaginary triangle on his neck, inserted the needle in the correct spot, and checked for blood and all was fine. But for some reason, this time when I reattached the syringe to the needle, it wouldn't budge. I just could not get the plunger to go in. So I had to remove the needle and go again. Poor horse, what a pin cushion. The look on his face nearly made me cry. Anyway, got it done but worried and worried all day. Was he ok? How was his neck? Had the lump (yes there was a sizeable lump) gone down?  When I got home he was the happiest camper so I really needn't have worried.  Tonight's needle when decidedly better with Ian's help holding him  and I gave it to him in the chest.  He barely noticed I was doing it.

So with rain forecast, my next dilemma.  The vet had said "Don't let his foot get wet!" Our stables are not completely set up yet, so the paddock is our only choice.  What about a poultice boot?  So I grabbed a Davis Poultice Boot and put Wills bandaged hoof in it. Went on really easily and did up with not much fiddling. Anyway, he's got it on tonight and it seems fine. Will wasn't the slightest bit concerned by it and even walked a bit better with it on.  Fingers crossed it's still there in the morning, but I honestly can't see how it would come off.  Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment